Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Two more masks, while we're at it, titled Crazy Horse and Feather for obvious reasons, and totally tribal. These were done during my internship at the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian as part of the program I attended at Pace University for professionals who had been displaced by 9/11.
A whole other story, another time perhaps, in fact I'm sure we will get there eventually, to that catastrophe, but just not today. I want to stay with the art, I always want to stay with the art, and as sad as these two guys are, they make me happy. 
And by the way, those are parrot feathers from my little friend Pacino, a Senegal, who won't say Hoohah for anything.

2 comments:

  1. I wish that I had been in touch with you when you did the internship. Did you do it here in DC? What material did you use to make them and how large are they?

    Ben makes masks too out of mache. Here is a link to his gallery.http://www.myartspace.com/viewer/gallery/?subscriberid=ifc3rku8ca4cjrw1&gallery_id=999rc50pra4cl7g1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just sent you a gmail, will this go there? Maybe not since your comment didn't show up on my account. Anyway, my internship was at the Museum in NYC, down by Battery Park. I was there 6 months, and found it really inspiring. I need to shoot a little cornhusk angel I made at one the classes they had for kids that I sat in on just for fun. The masks tend to be too small for my face, but they're painted or drawn on paper and cut out (eyes and mouth too) then mounted on black board. There are a couple that actually are shaped and fit me, but they're not as successful.

    ReplyDelete