Sunday, March 29, 2009

This was the last painting I did while at Pace; I was learning to scan slides and printed out the image of Dharma Bum, which I posted a few weeks ago, and thought it'd make a nice gouache. Right after this, two months into the classes, we started our internships. Our schedule was mornings in school and afternoons at our internship, but because my unemployment had run out, I also worked at the holiday craft fair in Grand Central Station. If I wasn't at Pace or the Smithsonian, that's where I was. From Thanksgiving until Christmas, I didn't have a single day off, and then continued my seven days a week routine until February to catch up on the time I owed the museum. Which was fine, I enjoyed sitting at my greeter's desk and looking at Native American art books. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Maureen
    I love both your blogs - inspiring me in their own unique ways. Have a thing about Angels myself and taken quite a few photos of stone Angels in cemeteries. The first stone angel to inspire me was called The Angel of Grief and she rests in the cemetary in Rome where both Byron and Goethe are buried. (Quite fitting I think)
    It was before I bought my digital camera so I will dig out the old photo and try to post a copy on my blog. She was carved by the stonemason for his wife. If you google her she comes up straight away. Four days in Rome and I have to go to the same cemetary twice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I don't know if you get the American show "Saving Grace" with the ever fabulous Holly Hunter, but there's a fantastic angel character on it. I worry that this site is too depressing, but I guess I make for it on the photography blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No not depressing, a challenging subject maybe but not something that should be hidden away.
    I will look out for that tv programme, it should make it over here eventually.
    The first day in Manhattan we headed down for a trip on the Staten Island Ferry. I took pictures of "those decaying posts" in the water. Afterwards we dropped into the Museum of the American Indian where I promptly signed up to be a member.

    ReplyDelete