Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Lee Bontecou exhibit impacted me almost as much as the Smithsonian internship did; I have drawings from it, perhaps I'll show a few tomorrow if I can decide which ones to use. I almost bought the catalogue there, but I would have had to use that week's lunch money. I was still scrambling, at the Tribeca gallery mainly, but the entry fee was totally worth it. Every piece spoke to me, I walked the exhibit three times. What I got most from it, what I basically stole, were the rimmed but hollowed out mouths and the mismatched eyes. One concave socket with a rounded internal orb, the other eye smaller but raised; which these close-ups of the Sparky and Puddin' sculptures show. It took a while for it to translate into the paintings; and yes, I eventually did get to buy that fabulous catalogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment