Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Things have finally settled down enough that I can get back to my little Provincetown life. In these times of political, dumpster fire chaos, I am grateful to have a nice, safe place to live with room for a studio that happens to be in a nice, safe, beautiful coastal town full of other artists who stop and chat with me in the street. I am also grateful I can see the grocery store from my side windows, and the bank and post office a five minute walk away. As is the library where I get my Sunday puzzles and sometimes free fresh produce, although it is in the other direction. The clinic, where I was a few days ago, is further off, a fifteen minute walk, but the dentist is there and the hardware store with a smattering of emergency art supplies for those times I can’t wait for the delivery of an online order. In other words, even though I’m in the throes of missing Paul and Newcastle desperately since moving there is too complicated and expensive at the moment, everything is fine.
As far as the painting goes, I just finished Vigilance, the harpy eagle at top, which reflects my feelings about what is currently going on in DC. I finished Temperance, the rook above, as well, which does not. Or, perhaps it does as I try not to give into the panic I feel when I think about Trump. A few nights ago, I saw the documentary “Anne Packard: An Artist’s Resolve”. I worked off and on for almost ten years at her grandson’s gallery that was devoted to her work. The film didn’t reveal anything new for me, but I was intrigued by how they left out the family dynamics and history I was privy to while working there. It was, however, a moving homage to a local icon who is and has been very much her own person. At ninety-three and now in a wheelchair, she still finds purpose and solace in the paint. And the seaside. And the light. I can relate to that. Forget the midterm elections and pressure to finish one more canvas before the last show of this season at the gallery. Hand me a brush and I know who I am. OK, on with the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment