Saturday, February 21, 2009

I went to the Ozarks for graduate school, but dropped out after a few weeks and worked at a health food restaurant instead. Serving rice and beans to Southern hippies who all looked like the Allman Brothers, I moved into a commune for a brief but excruciating entanglement with one of the men and then escaped to a tiny cabin in the woods. Forever finding arrowheads, I designed art, all Native American in theme, for the local hippie establishments. Using my cabin as a base, I spent the next two years traveling. I hitchhiked to Mardi Gras a couple times, and was back and forth to New York twice with a long stay in Virginia to make money as a nude model at my alma mater before finally settling down in Soho on my third trip, and then promptly cut off all my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment