Saturday, March 14, 2009

When I reached the store, West Broadway was full of people. Watchers, like me, and the workers who'd left against the directions they'd been given. You can walk from there to Soho in 20 minutes, 15 if you hurry. Most of them were not in a rush, it was more like a trance, as they ignored what was going on behind them. The rest of us were riveted. 
I stood in the doorway and yelled at my boss, who was yelling on the phone with the owner who was at home and refusing to turn on her television. The first building fell. It did a weird twisting motion before it came down, I couldn't get my head around what I was looking at. And then it was just gone, in a huge puff of smoke, and all bets were off.

1 comment:

  1. I to thought I wanted to paint about these dreadful events. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be there then. I felt traumatized from where I were already... in Toronto! But I felt so much anger at so many things, I painted one inspired by that anger but then I decided that rather to condemn I wanted to inspire so I started to paint about what matters to me : life, nature and try to express how magnificent it all is. I like your collages, They are like a totem to our torn hearts.

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete