Friday, March 13, 2009

When the first plane flew over my house, I was writing in my journal with a parrot on my shoulder, the sound was so formidable I didn't understand what I was hearing. I heard the impact, 3/4's of a mile away, and I thought two trucks had crashed on Houston Street, half a block from me. People were screaming and I looked out the window to see a crowd already gathered who were pointing south. My radio said something about a plane crash, I turned on the TV but there was no reception, so I threw on some clothes and went outside to see the first building on fire. I went back upstairs and quickly got ready for work, which was around the corner on West Broadway. By the time I was back outside, the second building was also on fire, a term, on fire, which does not begin to cover what it looked like. It was obvious from where I stood, that the top half of the second building would fall down.

1 comment:

  1. I remember that day clearly. It was a beautiful day, like in New York, bright blue sky and a perfect temperature. I was at home that day and David called me to tell me to turn on the tv. He said that he could not tell me what happened. The first building had been hit and was burning when I saw the images... We soon learned about the other tower and then the Pentagon.

    I was alone and decided to go to have my haircut. Strange you think...but my hairdresser was from Iran. I knew that she would be feeling odd...I got to the salon and there she was and only the manager, no other customers or stylists. We three listened and talked for hours. When I left the salon I was getting into my car and a man came up to me in the parking lot. We were in the Maryland suburbs. He asked if something had happened and mentioned that he had to drive to Arlington.

    The Pentagon is in Arlington and I did not have the words to describe what had happened. I replied, "Yes, something happened. You will need to listen to your radio." and "Don't drive to Arlington".

    I called a friend who worked in DC. The city was a mess and they feared that they too would be attacked. There were rumors that bombs had gone off in sections of the city. The police were not coordinated. It was a mess.

    ReplyDelete